Saturday, January 19, 2008

Luck, Fate and Choices

I dunno what you people believe, but I do not believe in Fate... I don't like the idea of blaming our wrong choices or bad luck on fate...

Yesterday only we school friends discussed about it... and one of my fate_believing friend almost convinced me that there is such thing as Fate... The example he gave me was simple and straightforward -
"Look" he said, "Luck is like choosing the correct answer in GRE exam if you don't know the actual answer. And Because of that answer you are able to go to US... This is Fate..."

The example was very good... or processing speed of my brain was slow :).. but I thought may be he's right... but then I thought - its correct that Luck is like choosing the correct answer in GRE exam (if you don't know the actual answer) but... after that its not fate that decides you will go to US... its your Choice... You choose to go to US instead of staying in India...
Its not "Fate"... Its now written anywhere that you will go to US... its totally your ''Choice" whether to stay in India or to go to US with the help of some "Luck" in gre...
This thought made my point, and more importantly, my mind clear that there's really no such thing as fate...

I like that quote by Neo in matrix -
Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.
and controlling life means making 'choices' all by yourself... isn't it ?

6 Comments:

Mithila said...

Quite the debate there!

Fate and choice... Could comments loads on this...

But why not have a discussion instead?

What say? ;)

Jitesh Shah said...

in the same movie (matrix) Oracle says. choice is an illusion. You have already made the choice.

You can always ask, "what if I had chosen differently?".. but then, why didn't you??... may be that is fate...

You don't like someone else to control your life... it is your fate that you CHOSE not to believe in fate... because you don't like it, you chose to believe that there is nothing like fate..

Anonymous said...

A good topic put up I must say!

I will take side with Praju on this one...I wont deny the idea of 'FATE'...but I do believe people who dont want to TRY to make something happen which they want,they will always say "It will happen if it's in my fate"...what a load of crap !!

It IS our choices that take us where we want to go,and NOT fate....if its not true,then I say we all stop studying for exams and say "I ll pass if its in my fate"..sounds crazy doesnt it ?I'll quote one of my favourite Dumbledore quotes here "It is our choices that show who we truly are"

As for the "you have already madhe the choice" comment,dude COME ON!! are YOU in matrix ??

When one does everything in his power and still doesnt succeed,I think thats when anyone will say "Hey,I have done everything I can,I have not achieved what I want and I will wait till if at all it happens"........still its not FATE cuz in this case YOU have given up on something because you have done everything in your power to make it happen..its just waiting for the right moment and grab the opportunity with both hands when it comes!

Jitesh Shah said...

@chillya
this is not a place to debate. But, nevertheless, I cannot resist the temptation

About the example of exams u gave. Assume you made the choice of studying hard and actually did it. What if you fall ill just a day before the exams. Wasn't that fate then??... (I assume, you won't blame urself for getting sick :D)

the thing is, even if everyone says "if its in my fate, i'll pass"... there'll be only a few whose fate demands they study... and even fewer whose fate says they pass....

Don't get me wrong.. I am not the one who blames fate for my mistakes... I am just saying that it is wrong to always blame urself for everything... Finally, you depend on OTHERS a lottt for everything... and OTHERS, u cannot control.. there's where fate comes in...

!

Ameya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ameya said...

ok I'll save all the replies here jitesh...I say its a good topic to debate and we should discuss wen we all meet...hope all can make it to tekdi or some place on sunday :-)