Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Guilt..

Today, I was going to withdraw some money from one ATM on my way home..
I was walking with earphones in my ears, listening to songs.
Suddenly one man popuped up in front of me, and with him, his wife n two children..
The family was looking poor.. n most probably outsiders..
He was saying something to me. so I removed earphones.
He asked (in Marathi): 
"Do you undarstand Marathi?"
"Hoah" (yes)
"Aho. Aamhi jara dusrya gawavarun aloy.. ".. [we have come from another village..]
"Damn!!" said I. I assumed these guys are 'professional' beggars, so I earphones back and walked away..

While withdrawing money from ATM, I thought, I didn't even listen to them. I was not in a hurry or anything. May be they are in some money issue that I could have solved. May be they are not just beggars.. May be they are just beggars. But I at least should have listen to them once..

Still in confused state I walked out of ATM and looked. They were gone.
I don't know why, but I'm feeling guilty for some reason. 

I should have listen to them... 

5 Comments:

Vedang said...

I feel tremendously guilty even if they are professional beggars. Especially with the children at the traffic signal.

Mithila said...

I know how you feel :)

Unknown said...

if they were gone then i dont think they were beggars. I know m not helping.

Anonymous said...

Praju, chhan lihila ahes. Chatka laun gela tujha varnan. But this is how we live and learn. Next time you encounter someone like that, I am sure you will listen to them. Sometimes we fall into this trap of false superiority because of our education, money, but after everything, we are only human.

Sanyo said...

mast lihila aahes ...asa khoop da hota..te loka samor yetat ani kalatach nahi aapan madat karawi ki na karawi :(